During the 2023 Art Struck Festival on May 6th, Johnson City Public Art will host a chalk art competition. The competition will take place in the Founders Park amphitheater area in downtown Johnson City (next to The Pavilion at Founders Park at 105 W. Main St.). Each registered participant will be designated a 4-foot x 4-foot sidewalk space as a surface for his/her artwork design and will be given one box of 48-piece Koss chalk.
Interested artists must submit an entry form (below) by March 17, 2023.
Chalk Art Competition Hours:
May 6, 2023
Artwork Creation: 10:00 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Judging: 3:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Winner Announcements: 4:00 p.m.
Checks will be mailed to winners of the competition following the event.
First Place: $500
Second Place: $250
Third Place: $125
A $20 entry fee is required for all participants. This must be paid online at https://johnson-city-public-art.square.site/2023-chalk-art-competition-registration.
The artist name given on the entry form must match the name given when you pay your entry fee at the link above. If you do not pay your entry fee or if the artist name does not match on both forms, you will not be eligible to participate.
Participants are Responsible for Bringing the Following Items:
Artists are encouraged to bring their own additional water-based chalk, charcoal or pastels, to add vibrancy, depth, and variety. Artists should also bring their own brushes, water and any other materials or tools they need.
NOTE: All chalk must be water-based and temporary (no paint, fixatives, or oil-based products).
Other items artists may wish to bring: smudging tools, spray bottle with water, sponges, Q-tips, rulers, paper towels, wet wipes, knee pads, blankets or chair, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, sketches or inspiration pieces to guide chalk design.
- You may not reproduce an image created by another artist (living or deceased).
- People will be walking by so keep your design and materials contained. Respect the other artists and do not walk on their work or have open beverage containers that may spill and destroy work.
- Drawings must remain within the designated square area.
- This is a family event. Drawings must not contain nudity, profanity, or content inappropriate for all ages.
- No flammable or offensive odors.
- Failure to comply with these rules may lead to disqualification.