SCAVENGER HUNT ANSWER KEY:
For exact locations, search for animals on the Public Art Map
1. With my house on my back, I’m tiny and slow. In France, my name is escargot.
Hint: “Check me out” near the entrance of a building filled with books.
SNAIL – at the Johnson City Public Library on the brick landscaping wall to the left of the front steps
2. You won’t find tapirs around town today, but you might spot a fossil while you play.
Hint: Explore Johnson City’s Natural Playground.
TAPIR FOSSIL – on the side of a large rock at the back of the natural adventure area (playground) in front of Johnson City Public Library
3. Near the “Wildabout” mural, on the ground, coyote footprints can be found.
Hint: Try boulder hopping for a better view.
COYOTE PRINTS – on top of a boulder across the sidewalk from the “Wildabout” mural in King Commons
4. What’s the buzz in King Commons? I’ll “bee” glad to tell all. Look for me way up high on the “Wildabout” wall.
Hint: The Ale House patio is a hive of activity.
BUMBLEBEE – on the tiered section of the “Wildabout” mural wall (upper left) in King Commons
5. In King Commons, after the rain, you can spy me near the drain.
Hint: Follow the concrete path between the beer garden and the JC sign.
BEAVER – in the concrete spillway about halfway between where it begins on the Commerce Street side of King Commons and the creek
6. Have you seen Papa Bear? He’s running behind. He told us to meet him at the big JC sign.
Hint: We can see the Town View from our hiding spot.
BLACK BEAR – at the bottom of the brick base on the Johnson City landmark sign at King Commons
7. This insect has climbed a wall, not a tree, watching artists create at #133.
Hint: Look for me near chicken and bikes.
CICADA – high up on the brick wall in the covered entrance area to Atelier 133 on Commerce Street (left side)
8. My eyes are huge and I’m really wise; I play all night and sleep at sunrise.
Hint: I watch from my perch near London’s door.
OWL – to the right of the door on London’s building on Market Street (to right of Trek Bicycle Store)
9. On hot summer nights, look for my flashing light. With my eerie green glow, I put on quite a show.
Hint: Find me near a round antique pane on downtown West Main.
FIREFLY – above the door to the right of West Main Antiques on W. Main Street (below a circular windowpane)
10. Find me over one of the Pavilion’s main arches, though I prefer wading near lakeshores and marshes.
Hint: My “profile” picture is farmers market fresh.
GREAT BLUE HERON – above the middle archway on the eastern side of the Pavilion at Founders Park
11. On a small ledge near a Founders bridge rail, you can catch a glimpse of my mask and striped tail.
Hint: Do you think White Duck Taco Shop offers creekside delivery?
RACCOON – on a concrete ledge by the corner of a bridge in Founders Park (the bridge closest to Yee Haw Brewing Company)
12. Shh! I’m asleep in my creekside nest. After swimming all day, I needed a rest.
Hint: Find these “wild wings” by the railing near the large set of stairs.
MALLARD DUCK – at the bottom of the stairs in the central part of Founders Park next to the railing by the creek
13. Have a ssssseat on the bench, and sssssoak up the sssssun. I promise that I’ll never bite anyone!
Hint: The Rotary Bridge is just a short ssssslither away.
GARTER SNAKE – by a bench next to the creek (near the Rotary bridge on the Great Lawn side)
14. I’m a tiny amphibian, who can take giant leaps. Look for me in the creek, shouting to my peeps.
Hint: Stop and say hello when you check the water level in Founders Park.
SPRING PEEPER – on the west end of Founders Park in the creek just outside the culvert (close to Commerce Street)
15. I have stripes on my tail, like my friends, Chip and Dale. High on this pine tree, I see flags – 1, 2, 3.
Hint: Cross the street for a Korean taco or some baklava.
EASTERN CHIPMUNK – on a tree on the perimeter of the “Flag Park” plaza area on Buffalo Street (across the street from the Red Meze restaurant)
16. My long ears are twitching by the back garden wall. Watching diners eat musakka and fried falafel.
Hint: You haven’t found me yet? You’d better hop to it.
COTTONTAIL RABBIT – on the wall of a landscaping bed by the walkway that runs beside the Red Meze restaurant
17. I look like a dog with a bushy tail. I’m sneaky, sly, and make Dora wail.
Hint: Looking for a lawyer on the corner? Me too! (I ate the gingerbread man).
RED FOX – to the right of the door at Herndon, Coleman, Brading, & McKee LLP law office on Main Street
18. Some call me a beetle, a bird, or a bug, but I’m always a “lady”, just too tiny to hug.
Hint: Look for the giant-sized children playing in the dirt.
LADYBUG – on the wall of a landscaping bed at Fountain Place on Buffalo Street (below the mural featuring three children planting flowers)
19. I flutter behind glass with an “Aerial” view. (The window was open, so inside I flew).
Hint: I’m not a bee, but you’ll find me in the beehive.
MONARCH BUTTERFLY – inside the window at Johnson City Aerial Photography on Market Street (to the right on the brick wall)
20. You’ll find me in a window on an angler’s line, next door to where the Germans dine.
Hint: How long has it been since you’ve had a shave and a haircut?
BROOK TROUT – inside the window at C.S. McCullough’s on Main Street (on the wall to the left)
21. I’ll never win a race at the track, but I’ve always got a home on my back.
Hint: I don’t have much hair, but if I did, I’m in a good spot for grooming. Find me under the walkway cover.
TURTLE – in the covered walkway area that runs from Spring Street to the Downtown Square Parking Lot (near the back of The Black Olive restaurant)
22. I may be hairy and scary with many legs and eyes, and I might be named Charlotte or Peter Parker depending on my size.
Hint: Walk under the breezeway lights and look up.
SPIDER – in the open breezeway that runs between Main Street and the Downtown Square Parking Lot (high up on the wall on the end closest to the Downtown Square Parking Lot)
23. It only smells like the dump when you upset a skunk.
Hint: A good place to meet for sweet smells and treats.
SKUNK – by the wall near the entrance to Cakebuds Bakery and Ice Cream Shop
24. This animal will fly away if you want to play.
Hint: Don’t offer this bird a cup of Joe.
OSPREY – on the wall to the right of the entrance to Dos Gatos Coffee Bar (Main Street side)
25. Near the Majestic Park mural I peacefully sleep. Out of reach from Dos Gatos, across the street.
Hint: Listen for my gentle coo from my perch high above you.
MOURNING DOVE – on the wall to the right of the mural in Majestic Park (on the old Kress building, Main Street side)
26. It’s odd to find me flying up a brick wall; I swim in the water and never walk nor crawl.
Hint: The rock bass is camped out near a village of artists.
ROCK BASS – on the brick wall directly to the left of the Artisans’ Village on Main Street
27. You’ll see this little animal with no hair on his tail, lying around in the window of a brewer of ales.
Hint: This marsupial is “o” so sleepy. Or is he just pretending?
OPOSSUM – inside the front window of Little Animals Brewery on Main Street
28. Do my big claws scare you? I would run away from you too.
Hint: You can select to put your money here.
CRAWFISH – on the wall of the Select Seven Credit Union facing towards Colonial Way